TAILLE DU TEXTE : A A A A
ville.riviere-du-loup.qc.ca | English | City Tour | History

History

 

The citizens of Riviere-du-Loup are proud and respectful of their heritage and their history. A visit to Riviere-du-Loup allows others to notice how the community has learned to preserve its assembled heritage and its natural aspects.

 

The history of the town dates back to 1673, when the region of Riviere-du-Loup was given to Lord Charles-Aubert de la Chesnaye, one of the most prosperous merchants at the time. The expansion of the town really started in the early 19th century and increased with the arrival of the Grand Trunk railway in 1859.

 

Among the lords who have left their mark on the history of Riviere-du-Loup, the Frasers were undoubted lythe most famous. In recognition of their numerous services to the community, Riviere-du-Loup was called Fraserville from 1850 until 1919. In 1919, the city of Fraserville became the city of Riviere-du-Loup and then, in 1982, the town of Riviere-du-Loup.

 

Today, Riviere-du-Loup has a population of 18,973 and constitutes an important service center, a famous tourist attraction and justifiably the SME capital of the Lower-Saint-Lawrence region.

 

Photos : Ville de Rivière-du-Loup